- Kogi State
- Ministry of Finance, Budget & Economic Planning
- Minsitry of Information & Communication
- Ministry of Works & Housing
- Ministry of LG & Chieftaincy Affairs
- Ministry of Justice
- Ministry of Health
- Ministry of Agriculture
- Ministry of Commerce & Industry
- Ministry of Environment
- Ministry of Education
- Ministry of Culture & Tourism
- Ministry of Water Resources
- Ministry of Women Affairs
- Ministry of Solid Minerals
- Ministry of Youth & Sport
- LG Financial Statement Report
- Achievements of the Ministry of Agriculture
- Ministry of Works and Housing
- Achievements of the Ministry of Transportation
- Achievements of the Ministry of Commerce
- Ministry of Rural Development
- Ministry of Information and Communications
- GYB Achievements in Health Sector
- Kogi State Security Outlook Under GYB
gyb sectoral achievements
Sectoral achievements of Governor Yahaya Bello since 2016
Achievements of the Ministry of Agriculture
- ESTABLISHMENT OF KOGI CONFLUENCE RICE MILL
In line with the determination to make Kogi State a food basket of the nation, this administration has established one of the biggest Rice Mill in Nigeria at Ejiba, Yagba West known as Kogi Confluence Rice Mill. The newly constructed mill at cost of over N4 billion has the capacity to produce 50 tons of rice per day. The mill which is located on 800 hectares has maximum capacity and is expected to create over 6,000 direct and indirect jobs.
At completion of this gigantic stride embarked upon by the Yahaya Bello administration which was commissioned in August, 2019 as part of the activities marking the 28th anniversary of the creation of Kogi State on August 27, 2019, the plant could easily run over 3000 tons of rice per month and over 36,000 tons per year. This is equivalent to the production of over 720,000 50kg rice bags per year.
Currently, the Industry has 800 hectares nucleus rice farm that feeds the processing plant. While the 800 hectares produce around 3200 tons of paddy rice yearly, the processing plant will consume the 3,200 tons in just a month meaning that expanded rice cultivation is encouraged to meet the feedstock.
The potentials of the Rice Mill industry as at today is impressive- the farm is currently generating 300 direct jobs, which comprises farm staff, hunters and equipment operators. The industry can also generate over 5000 indirect jobs through its Out-Growers empowerment programme. Last year, it empowered 150 local farmers through the office of Kogi State Governor.
- GREEN HOUSE
The Administration of Alhaji Yahaya Bello established a Greenhouse at Osara for the cultivation of vegetables such as pepper and Tomatoes.
- ESTABLISHMENT OF A BIO-FUEL FACTORY AND SUGARCANE PLANTATION
The Government signed a Memorandum of Understanding (MOU) with the Nigerian National Petroleum Corporation (NNPC) on the establishment of a Bio-fuel factory and sugarcane plantation at the Alape staple crops processing Zone. The Government released money for the survey of 20,000 hectares of land in the zone. This will create about 2000 jobs for our teeming youth in the State.
- COUNTERPART FUNDS
The state government paid its counterpart funds for the smooth take off of both the international fund for Agricultural development/Value chain Development project (IFAD/VCD) and the APPEALS Project specially for the promotion of cassava, rice and cashew value chain.
- MANDATORY BRANDING OF CASHEW BAGS
To ensure standard and good market for cashew production in the state, the ministry has enforced the mandatory brand of cashew bags with Kogi State logo, so as to control adulterated and infiltration of unauthorized buyer into the cashew marketing system.
- PURCHASE OF TRACTORS
As part of efforts to enhance food security and promote Agriculture in Kogi State, the State Governor, Yahaya Bello inaugurated additional 100 tractors and immediately distributed them across the 21 local government areas of the state. The incentives were meant for farmers, women and youths, as part of efforts boost food security, create employment and income for the people of the state.
- UPGRADE OF AGRICULTURAL TRAINING CENTRE
The Agricultural Training Centre, Ochaja in Dekina Local Government Area has been upgraded to a Diploma awarding institution.
- ESTABLISHMENT OF EARTH PONDS
Earth ponds were constructed and stocked with about 3,000 fingerlings to enhance the demonstration of Aquaculture activities in the ministry. The hatchery in Ayetoro-Gbede was rehabilitated and it has commenced the production of fingerlings and juveniles.
- PROCUREMENT OF AGRICULTURAL INPUTS
The ministry procure agricultural inputs such as Agro-chemicals, seeds, seedlings, herbicides, knap sacks and liquid fertilizers which were sold to farmers at highly subsidized rates.
- KOGI APPEALS PROJECT:
It is pertinent to note that Kogi State is one of piloting states in the Federal Government /World Bank agricultural project known as Agro Processing Productivity Enhancement and Livelihood Improvement Support (APPEALS) after successful payment of its counterpart funds to promote, enhance food production and youth employment.
Recently at presentation of Kogi State APPEALS Integrated Farm Settlement project to members of the State Executive Council by the State Coordinator, Dr Sanni Abdullahi Ozomata, the governor said his administration will give full backing towards the establishment of the Integrated farm Settlements for beneficiaries of the APPEALS- Women and Youth Empowerment Programme, describing the initiative as a model for other states to emulate.
The idea of establishing an integrated farm settlements for beneficiaries of the APPEALS-Women and Youth Empowerment programme is to develop a commodity-based cluster formation model with associated business investment plan leading to the economic empowerment and livelihood improvement of the beneficiaries.
The farm settlements are in the three senatorial districts of the State with 1700 direct beneficiaries and 2000 indirect beneficiaries. The benefits for the state to include increase in internally generated revenue, job creation, and value addition to the common staple crops in the state among others.
- DISTRIBUTION OF AGRICULTURE EQUIPMENT BY THE STATE GOVERMENT
The state government had earlier inaugurated and distributed the agricultural equipment across the 21 Local Government Areas of the State, these include 40 tractors, 40 ridgers , 40 harrows, 40, ploughs and 1500 power tillers. Others are 10 boom sprayers, 10 combined harvesters and 10 planters, which will be distributed to farmers free except tractors that will be managed by farm instructors in the local government area of the state.
- ACCELERATED AGRICULTURAL DEVELOPMENT SCHEME
Under AADS, Accelerated Agricultural Development Scheme, Kogi State establishment of 5 units of Garri processing mills at Osara, Agara, Achoze, Aiyetoro-Gbede and Ogabadu in Dekina are completed with a warehouse.
- Mobilizing seven hundred youths in cassava production consist of Adavi, Okehi, Ibaji Olamaboro, Dekina, Lokoja and Kabba Bunu LGA’S.
- Purchase of farm implements applied by Western golf aquacultural service limited.
- Sensitization exercise for Kogi state farmers.
- Irrigation and fertilization solution for 1,000 small landholders in Kogi state.
- Procuring service components and general servicing of the irrigation water pumps.
- Rehabilitation / repair of Earth moving heavy-duty equipment for the clearing of farmland across the 21 LGA.
- Provision of tractor and tillers to farmers.
- Take off ground for the CBN anchor borrowers programme project management team (PMT) secretariat for dry season farming.
- Design and production of tender document of (OMI) irrigation project of 571 hectares.