Stewardship Report 2016-2021
KOGI STATE MINISTRY OF CULTURE & TOURISM
OFFICE OF THE HONOURABLE COMMISSIONER
Hon. Salifi lsah ldachaba
1. CULTURAL PERFORMANCE
The Executive Governor of Kogi State-sponsored Kogi contingents in 2016 for the participation of the State contingents in the 2016 edition of Abuja National Carnival during which the State won twelve (12) laurels including 1st Best performing State of the federation till date, Kogi remained the defending champion of Abuja Carnival.
2. PARTICIPATION IN NATIONAL CULTURAL FESTIVAL
Kogi State Executive Governor approved and sponsored the Kogi State contingents to participate and represented Nigeria in the 11th Edition of festival of Pan African Music (FESPAN) in Brazzaville, Republic of Congo from 8th – 15th July, 2017.
3. Kogi State Governor approved and sponsored the Kogi State contingent to participated in the 2017 Africa Drum festival 2nd edition in Abeokuta Ogun State from 20th – 22nd April, 2017.
4. The Executive Governor of Kogi Professor Alhaji Yahaya Adoza Bello also sponsored State Contingents to represent and participate in the summer festival of Tunisia Government from 15th July, – 15th August, 2018 in Tunisia.
5. Kogi State Governor also approved and sponsored the Kogi State contingents to 33rd National Festival of Arts and Culture (NAFEST) in Jos where Kogi State emerged as most enterprising State with laurels.
6. As a lover of Culture, the Executive Governor, Kogi Culture allow cultural practices to be practiced in Kogi State a case of reference was the de-proscription of 5 traditional cultural practices in Kogi East which were prescribed by colonial master 55 years ago, such festival includes Ocho, Egwu, Oghede, Ogaganci and Utalo festivals, all in Kogi East.
2. HERITAGE AND TOURISM
The performance of the Kogi State Governor on Heritage and Tourism includes
a. The Executive Bill sent to the House of Assembly to create the enabling laws for Tourism industry in the State.
b. Beautification and restoration of Historical Relics to woo in tourists, investors and travelers to Kogi State, the governor approved fund for: –
(i) Recreational activities at Mount Patti
(ii)Restoration of Lord Lugard resident on top of the hill Mount Patti
(iii) Beautification of European Cemetery, cenotaph, tombs of Emirs deposed from the Northern part of the country to Lokoja during the colonial era such Emirs includes, Kano, Gwandu, Zaria, Gumel, Bida, Fontoro and others.
Other Historical sites where restoration took place was the first primary school in Northern Nigeria, the first Bank in Northern Nigeria, the First prison yard in Northern Nigeria, the Royal Niger company flag spot in Lokoja and many others.
It is the wish of the Executive Governor of Kogi State to drive the State Economy through culture, heritage and Tourism in order to boost the Kogi State and wish to open her door to would be investors in the area of Beautification Kogi Historic Relics to attract tourists to the State.
3. DEVELOPMENT OF MOUNT PATTI
The most awaited development of Mount Patti declared as a holiday resort and protected area is now on course with the recent Memorandum of Understanding just entered into between Kogi State Government and Goldcity Engenering Consultancy Company Limited on 5th July, 2021 under the Administration of Alhaji Dr. Yahaya Adoza Bello.
The multi Billion Naira project is a high yielding revenue generation venture, with the capacity to generate over 5000 direct and indirect employment opportunity and job creation. It shall remain a legacy project to GYB administration greater than TINAPA, ARUGUNGUN and LAGOS holiday resorts.
The recent invitation by the Federal Ministry of Information and Culture nominating Kogi State to represent Nigeria in the Antigual and Barbuda Carribean Island International Cultural Festival in July 2021.
This is a clear testimony and resultant effects of Kogi State domination in International Cultural events in Nigeria and a direct efforts of His Excellency Alh Dr. Yahaya Adoza Bello’s Administration attention to the sector.