PRESENTATION BEFORE HIS EXCELLENCY, THE EXECUTIVE GOVERNOR OF KOGI STATE ON ACHIEVEMENT, PROSPECTS AND CHALLENGES OF MINISTRY OF YOUTH AND SPORTS
The Ministry of Youth and Sports Development was established in year 1999 with the mandate to manage Youth Development and Sports in the State. It has two prominent area of jurisdiction.
- Youth Development and Sports Development
The two broad items has so many sub areas to handle. Amongst them are NYSC Camp, Youth Skill Acquisition, Youth Employment Skills, Association of Kogi State Students, Youth Summit, Multipurpose Sports Facilities, Football, Table Tennis, Lawn Tennis, Volleyball, Handball e.t.c.
The Ministry has a parastatal under it known as Kogi State Sports Council and Youth Commission.
In line with the New Direction Administration of the present Government, the Ministry of Youth and Sports development is a Ministry that is saddled with the responsibility of organizing, supervising and evaluating Sports and Youth activities in the state. She has recorded some remarkable achievements since the assumption this administration.
- The State participated in the recently just concluded National Sports Festival held in Edo State “Tagged Edo 2020”. The State won medals in Gold, Silver and Bronze.
- The present Administration has successfully sponsored Kogi State National Youth Games and medals were won in all the competitions in 2016, 2017, 2018 and 2019.
- The Football Team, Kogi United and Confluence Queens has also enjoyed the regular sponsorship of the State Government since the taking over of the present management of the Teams.
- The State Government successfully hosted a novelty match between the Ex-Super Eagles and the state Executives, held in the Confluence Stadium.
- The Confluence Stadium was also renovated.
- The establishment of Kogi State Youth Commission was also achieved through His Excellency, Alhaji Yahaya Bello. This is the first time in the history of Kogi State and even in Nigeria that Youth Commission will be established.
- The Public Workfare (PWF) programme of the World Bank which is domicile in the Ministry of Youth and Sports Development has also enjoyed the assistance of His Excellency, Alhaji Yahaya Bello through the payment of counterpart fund to assist the Youth and Unemployed graduates in the state.
- The National Youth Council of Nigeria (NYCN) Kogi State Chapter election was conducted and a vibrant Youth was elected with the support of His Excellency, Alhaji Yahaya Bello.
- The Youths through various registered Youth Clubs, Associations and Organization’s programmes are encouraged to developed the spirits of adventure and discoveries as part of their growths.
- In view of His Excellency supports and encouragement, the Ministry has sent various numbers of youths from the state to attend different skills acquisition training, organized by the Federal Ministry of Youth and Sports at Jos, Plateau State and Osun State in different capacity building this period.
- Through the same means and process, the Ministry has also sensitized the youths across the state to form Youth Clubs and Associations of various kinds who have in turned registered with the State Government and working meaningful with the Government for the progress of the state in different ways.
- The State Government released some funds in 2019 for the parameter fencing of NYSC Orientation Camp at Asaya, Kabba.
- Inadequate office accommodation
- Inadequate office furniture
iii. Shortage of Staff
- Lack of fund to attend sporting activities.
- None regular release of imprest
- Lack of operational vehicles (Coaster Buses, Hilux Vehicles).
vii. The Ministry is appreciative for the signing into law the bill for the Youth Development Commission. We hereby appeal for the approval of office furnishing to enable members of the commission commence work in earnest.
viii. The Indoor Sports Hall at the Confluence Stadium, Lokoja needs urgent renovation.
- The Ministry is also appealing for the Completion of the Swimming pool project at the Confluence Stadium.
- Funds should be released for the completion of NYSC Fence and other works at the camp.
- The Stadium is in a dilapidated condition and therefore requires a complete overhaul. Funds should be released for this work.
Conclusively, it is the eminent desire of the Ministry of Youth and Sports Development to move the State to the next level as far as Youth and Sports Development is concerned.
It is our hope that when the challenges are overcome, a very high level of growth will be attained.