Kogi State Ministry of Transportation through the concerted effort of the State Government has witnessed epoch making events. And this is evident in the achievements outline below.
1. As a way of repositioning the Ministry for effective and efficient performance aimed at increasing revenue and employment opportunities, the Ministry initiated the establishment of three committees which are: Lokoja Mega Terminal, Confluence Express Services and Waterways Express Services. The committees have submitted their reports and their recommendations are serving as road map for the growth and development of the transportation sector premised on Public Private Partnership Arrangement.
2. Consequently, the Ministry has acquired and leased out the Ferry in Idah which has generated the sum of ₦500,000 (Five Hundred Thousand Naira).
3. The 4Nos abandoned 32-Seater Ashok Leyland Buses have been put under concessionary management arrangement and has generated the sum of ₦8.5M (Eight Million, Five Hundred Thousand Naira) paid directly to Kogi State Inland Revenue Service.
4. The Moribund Lokoja Mega Terminal has been given modern facelift inline with International standards and the Kogi Mega Terminal has generated ₦4.2M (Four Million, Two Hundred Thousand Naira) between April and May, 2021.
5. Office Accommodation: Ministry of Transportation moved into a very beautiful edifice (Office Complex) constructed by the Administration of His Excellency, Alh. Yahaya Bello in March, 2020. Hitherto, the Staff of the Ministry were scattered within the premises without any conducive office accommodation making co ordination/supervision very difficult.
6. Traffic Management and Control: Kogi State is centrally located and surrounded with ten other States besides being an out let to Federal Capital Territory Abuja. One can therefore imagine the number of vehicles that pass through the State on daily basis with attendant traffic congestion, especially at Lokoja. The State Government therefore has taken drastic measures to prevent indiscriminate parking of vehicles and preventing gridlocks on the highways and township roads. The State Government has taken the bull by the horn by creating conducive atmosphere for the vehicle inspection office to triumph and established Kogi State Traffic Management Authority (KOTRAMA) for effective traffic management and control. The Government has recently procured Four (4) Sienna Buses to facilitate the operations of the Authority. Some of the KOTRAMA staff operating from the Ministry has generated the sum ofb₦1.9M (One Million, Nine Hundred Thousand Naira) from April –July, 2021.
A total of ₦34,548,886 (Thirty-Four Million, Five Hundred and Fourty Eight Thousand, Eight Hundred and Eighty Six Naira) was generated from Computerized Vehicle Inspection, Certificate of Road Worthiness, Traffic Offences and Clamping Services for year 2020 while the sum of ₦19,697,829.80 (Nineteen Million, Six Hundred and Ninety Seven Thousand, Eight Hundred and Twenty Nine Naira, Eighty Kobo) has so far been generated from January–July, 2021.
7. Payment of compensation to land owners at Ohono. As part of measures to address the issue of incessant trailer accidents along Felele–NATACO highways, the need for a trailer park with facilities cannot be over emphasized. To this end, His Excellency, Alhaji Yahaya Bello, has graciously approved the release of Sixty-Three Million Naira (₦63,000,000) only being the equity contribution of the State to compensate the Land owners in respect of Truck Transit Park at Ohono embarked by the State and the Federal Ministry of Transportation.
8. Regular sensitization and enlightenment of the Public on accident-free measures.
Motorists, Drivers and Road Union Workers are regularly being sensitized and enlightened by the Ministry through Print and Electronic Media, Seminars, workshops and Conferences.
9. The Ministry is visibly participating in the enlightenment and enforcement of the COVID-19 rules and protocols on the roads and motor parks to prevent Covid-19 tendencies in the State.
10. Water Transportation Development: by the natural privilege of Kogi State harboring the two great rivers in Nigeria, (Niger and Benue) hence the acronym, Confluence State, the expediency for Water Transportation cannot be over-emphasized. This will create Intra and Inter–State Water Transportation. Apart from huge revenue to improve the Internally Generated Revenue (IGR) of the State, the project will create employment opportunities for the youths thereby reducing anti-social behaviors.
To this end, His Excellency Alhaji Yahaya Bello approved and released fund to the Ministry to enable some staff travel to Lagos and Onitsha to understudy the process and the management of the similar project towards replicating same in Kogi State. There is work in progress on this project through Public Private Partnership driven–strategy.
The Ministry has invited some experts especially, Brass Marine Propulsion based in Port Harcourt and Lagos. The Company has packaged proposal and presented same to Kogi State Economic Management Team and the Ministry of Transportation. There is positive work in progress in this regard.
Similarly, the Ministry has been able to organize the members of Kogi State Water Transportation Union and a proposal for the development of this subsector has been presented and defended before the Kogi State Economic Management Team and as at today, the Transportation sector friendly Governor, His Excellency, Alhaji Yahaya Bello led Administration is approaching the Bank of Industry to grant loan to the members of the Water Transportation Union to develop their operations. The essence of the Partnership with the Bank of Industry is to open up the Water Transportation Sector through empowerment which will give rise to maximizing the natural benefits accruable from the presence of River Niger and Benue for exploration for both economic and social benefits to Tourists and investors.
11. Safety Education on our roads; an integral component of ministry of Transportation.
Flag off of ember month accident free campaign held on 6th of October at the Lokoja Mega Terminal organised by the Federal Road Safety Corp.
12. Just recently, approval has been given for the establishment of a Jetty; this is in preparation for the take off of the Kogi Water Transportation which when it take off will definitely serve as an alternative to the road Sector which evidently has been overstretched leading different negative mishaps ranging from insecurity to loss of lives.
Significantly, this will further enhance the economic viability of the State through inland commercial inter trading along the coastal lines from South to North.