MINISTRY OF CULTURE AND TOURISM
Hon. Commissioner for Culture and Tourism
PROGRAMMES TO BE EMBARKED UPON BY THE MINISTRY
(1) The Ministry will visit the 21 local government area of the state with the intension of coming up with all year round cultural programs for the state. The visit will also enable the Ministry to come up with a documentary and compendium on our cultural festival and tourism site on the state.
(2) The Ministry is to organize cultural festival among the three (3) senatorial districts of the state.
(3) The Ministry is also to organize an art of exhibition.
(4) The Ministry intents to review the edict establishing the State Council for Arts and Culture so that the council will be more empowered to carry out her responsibilities as regard the revenue generation.
(5) The Ministry will commence the full development of Tourism Master Plan which the state lacks.
(6) Te Ministry also intends to organize confluence V carnival and participate in the 2017 Abuja National Carnival.
(7) The Ministry intends to organize this year’s World Tourism Day Celebration
The Ministry is collaborating with the Ministry of Works, Housing and Urban Development to open up Mount Patti by providing recreational activities on the mountain. This will attract more tourists to the mountain.
ACHIEVEMENTS OF THIS MINISTRY SO FAR
1. The office complex of the State Council for Arts and Culture was renovated during this period, thus providing conducive working environment for staff.
2. For smooth movement of our Cultural troupes, His Excellency approved a bus for the state Council of Arts and Culture, the bus has since been delivered to the Council.
3. The Ministry attended the 9th edition of African Festival for Arts and Craft (AFAAC) held In Abuja and the state was the overall winner of most enterprising exhibition and most designed pavilion. This has opened up the state of the continent in the area of arts and crafts and some states and countries have indicated interest in our products.
4. The Ministry has also opened up discussion with Nigerian Tourism Development Cooperation (NTDC) on the need to explore our tourism potentials for the international community. This has lead to the cooperation sending her team to our tourist site for on the spot assessment and subsequent packaging to the outside world.
5. The State attended the just concluded “Abuja Carnival 2016” and won six trophies, six laurels and 1st position in the best overall performance out of the 22 states that participated in the event. This feat has never been achieved before, and the Ministry has already started receiving calls that will boost the culture and tourism sector of the state.
6. An executive bill to review the edict establishment Kogi State Hotels and Tourism Board is before the State House of Assembly. We are pleased to inform you that the bill is receiving favorable consideration by the State House of Assembly; the bill has passed through the second reading. When this bill is passed and signed into law, the state Hotel and Tourism Board will be empowered to generate substantial revenue to the state.
7. The Ministry is working on a mini art gallery at the premises of the Council for Arts and Culture. The gallery is aim at show casing our rich culture thorough beautiful works of arts and crafts.
8. The Ministry in conjunction with the Bureau for Public Private Partnership has commenced the process of concessioning Confluence Beach Hotel to suitable and qualified firm.
9. The Ministry successfully organized tourism summit as part of the 2016 World Tourism Day by bringing investors from Netherland.
10. The Senior Special Assistance to His Excellency on Entertainment, Arts and Culture in collaboration with the Ministry organized a summit on entertainment, arts and culture. The occasion was well attended by Stakeholders and has His Excellency Alhaji Yahaya Bello in attendance.
11. In a bid to also improve on our revenue generation, the Ministry is collaborating with Ministry of Education and some higher institutions in the State to improve on our package tours by ways of visits to our tourist sites.
12. The state was well represented by the Council for Arts and Culture at the just concluded 2nd edition of the all African Drums Festival at Ogun State. The council members put up a spectacular performance show casing our culture despite the short notice.